Training Update – Week 12

Week 12: Blueberry Spelt Muffins and Das Boot!

My personal training focus this week has shifted from my previous weeks of training. Healing is now my primary focus! Last week I mentioned how I’ve been temporarily grounded from my training by my podiatrist due to tendinitis in my posterior tibial tendon (left ankle). Well, I’ve taken his advice to heart and did something I haven’t done in ages…take a break from exercise (*gasp*). It’s been really hard, I’ve gotten terribly stir-crazy at times, and have slept a lot. However, I’m not going to let this hiccup deter me from my goal and Mark is still going strong, as well as fundraising!Training:

Just as in previous weeks, Saturday was the first day of our training week, which meant another long run with Team in Training. Mark had the pleasure of running 8 miles on the first beautiful (bordering on chilly) fall morning in Houston. I decided to come out as well to help support my Teammates at a water stop. As I said, it was a beautiful morning and I had the opportunity to get to know one of the Team mentors, Vicki, better that morning. It was fun getting to help motivate my new friends while they were running, but I also couldn’t help but feel a little sad I wasn’t out there with them.

Sunday was a rest day for both Mark and myself. I was even feeling enough better to stand for a few minutes at a time to bake for my Monday bake sale (but unfortunately didn’t get dinner cooked…oops!).

By Monday I was starting to get worried, as my ankle was still swollen despite the steroids/advil combo. I called my podiatrist, who was out of the office that day (of course). Mark completed a 20 minute easy run with Sasha after work as I tried to prepare dinner.

On Tuesday my podiatrist returned my call to set up another appointment, but I was unable to return the call due to the meeting. I’m now working as an exploration geologist, so this meeting was a good orientation of what my company is doing in exploration activities and the word confidential was stated a few more times that I felt comfortable. :-) Mark took the day off of training to help me out with making dinner.

Wednesday yielded a very rainy evening, which put a damper on Team’s weekly track night. Mark stopped by, but didn’t see anyone due to the tropical-like rain from the remnants of Hurricane Rick. Instead, we decided to do something different and give Mark a much-deserved treat (he’s been too good to me during my healing), dinner at Rudi Lechners for Oktoberfest! We stuffed ourselves with German food and beer. Well Mark had beer, I was still a bit paranoid about drinking with steroids in my system. I had also finally scheduled an appointment with my podiatrist (after a rousing game of phone tag) for Friday morning.

Thursday Mark got back into the swing of things with his 30 minute run with Sasha. I helped out by starting dinner, a lovely red wine risotto with chicken :-)

Friday was the big day of my week. Despite it being my working Friday, I had to go to the podiatrist to get a prognosis on the swelling of my ankle. Well, things didn’t go quite as well as I would have liked…Seems like my tendon still is quite inflamed and it will just take time. He suggested a boot to help speed up the process a bit. Das boot! The alternative would be to stay the course with my ibuprofen/non-immobilized state or getting a cortisone injection. However, the podiatrist really didn’t suggest a cortisone injection due to it being a tendon and due to my age. I decided on Das boot and am seeing him again on November 2nd to see how I’m progressing.

After running a bunch of errands after the appointment, it was already time for Happy Hour! This week we went to a lovely Team in Training Happy Hour organized by our friend (and mentor) Kelsey. It was a grand time and we had the support and company from some of my friends from work (pumping up our fundraising efforts). A special thanks to Kelsey for putting together such a successful event!

Fundraising (cont.)

My Monday bake sale was a result of a request. One of my colleagues at work on my new team is a Lymphoma survivor and requested blueberry muffins. How could I refuse such a request?!? Of course I could do blueberry muffins, but not without a twist, of course!

So, I baked up a batch of Blueberry Spelt Muffins. I’d been wanting to experiment with the spelt flour I had bought some time ago, but hadn’t gotten the opportunity to use it yet. So, when I found this recipe on the Whole Foods website, I had to give it a try (with a few small modifications)!

Blueberry Spelt Muffins (modified from Whole Foods)


  • 0.25 cup Canola Oil
  • 0.5 cup Light Brown Sugar
  • 2 tbsp Agave Nectar
  • 0.33 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
  • 2 eggs
  • 0.5 cup Organic Orange Juice
  • 1 tsp vanilla (double strength, 2 tsp regular strength)
  • 2 cups Whole Grain Spelt Flour
  • 2 tsp Baking Powder
  • 2 cups Blueberries (fresh preferred, but I had to use frozen, it is October after all)


Preheat oven to 375F and either line muffin pan or Pam/butter it (whatever you prefer).

Cream together oil, brown sugar, and agave nectar. Stir in applesauce, eggs, orange juice, and vanilla. Make sure the wet mixture is well combined.

In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients until well combined. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and  stir until just combined. Be careful not to over-stir or your muffins will be tough. Fold in blueberries. If using frozen blueberries, don’t thaw first, let those lovely juices run! :-)

Drop batter into muffin tin and top with coarse grained sugar (organic preferred). Bake for ~25 minutes (Whole Foods said 30, it didn’t take that long for me) or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Made 14 muffins for me, Whole Foods said 12…


They got great reviews at work and are the tangy taste of the orange juice tends to compliment the sweetness of the blueberries. The use of whole grain spelt flour tended to make for a more tender muffin than I’ve gotten with most of my muffins with whole wheat pastry flour. I’ll definitely be using spelt flour more often in the future!


  • 180 cal
  • 5 g fat
  • 30 g carb
  • 4 g fiber
  • 4 g protein

I’m really hoping I can get back to training soon. However, until then I’ll still be updating with Mark’s training and continue fundraising for the cause! I’m still confident I’ll be able to complete the half marathon, the full marathon may have to wait for another season…